GENERAL RADIO INFORMATION
∑ Prepare the scout to complete the following merit badge requirements:
- 1.a.††††† Explain what radio is (general description).
- 1.b.††††† Explain the differences between broadcast radio and hobby radio.
- 1.c.††††† Explain the differences between broadcasting and two-way
- 1.d.††††† Explain what broadcast radio and amateur radio call signs are and how
- 3.d.††††† Discuss why some radio stations are called DX and others are called local.
- 3.e.††††† Explain what the FCC and ITU are.
∑ Handouts:†††††††† † Radio Station Callsigns.
∑ Merit badge pamphlet pages:† 11, 14, 16-19, and 42.
∑ 8.5 X 11 blank paper for scouts to use.
∑ Discuss the handout.
∑ Lead a discussion comparing broadcast radio and hobby radio, and comparing broadcasting and two-way communication.
∑ Discuss what a Ham means when he refers to a station as being a DX station.
Verifying Scouts Have Met the Merit Badge Requirements
∑ Meet with each scout individually so they can present to you the information required to fulfill each of the above merit badge requirements.